In the dynamic landscape of smart devices, we have witnessed a remarkable evolution over the past decad. Smart devices have transformed from mere gadgets to indispensable companions in our daily lives. From smartphones, which have become extensions of our very selves, to smart home systems that cater to our every need, technology has woven its threads into the fabric of modern society.
In this ever-evolving market, the demand for seamless and intuitive user experiences with smart technology has grown exponentially. We no longer wish to navigate complex interfaces or juggle multiple devices; we instead seek interactions that mirror the fluidity of human conversation. Enter the era of Voice User Interfaces (VUIs), a transformative innovation that arguably holds the key to the future of smart devices. VUI is a speech-recognition technology that enables us to interact with a device simply through voice commands.
Imagine this: It’s a sunny morning, and you slowly open your eyes. But instead of reaching for your phone to switch off the alarm, you say, “Good morning, home.” And just like that, your smart home springs into action. The bedroom blinds gracefully draw open, the thermostat adjusts the temperature to your liking, and your espresso machine starts brewing your favorite coffee blend, spreading its aroma through the air.
From conversing with your smart home that is attuned to your every need to enabling seniors and individuals with disabilities to engage with technology on their own terms, the convenience and accessibility that VUIs offer are incredibly valuable. VUIs transcend the limitations of traditional user interfaces by harnessing the power of edge AI and natural language processing (NLP). They are leading the way in the journey to seamless human-machine interaction.
In this article, we delve into the evolution of smart devices and how VUIs are changing the way we interact with our devices day to day. We also shed light on the pioneering efforts of Edge Impulse, a cutting-edge platform accelerating innovation in edge AI – particularly in the development of VUIs.
The Journey of Smart Devices: The Rise of VUI
Over the past decade, smart devices have become ubiquitous, permeating every aspect of our lives. What began as simple touch-based interactions is evolving into a sophisticated ecosystem encompassing wearables, smart home systems, connected vehicles, and more. The market is witnessing an evolutionary shift as technology is becoming increasingly intertwined with our daily routines, particularly with the considerable development in user interfaces, enabling people to interact with their devices in smoother and more convenient manners.
From gesture control to acoustic event detection, all the way to enabling predictive maintenance systems in industrial applications, smart systems that leverage human interfaces are growing in popularity and redefining aspects of our daily lives and industry in ways never seen before.
And the smart device market is poised for even greater expansion. With the major growth in the Internet of Things (IoT) space and the rise of VUI technology, a more seamless interface between humans and machines is coming of age. In fact, the VUI market is growing by leaps and bounds. Valued at just over $13 billion in 2020, the VUI market is estimated to exceed $95 billion by the end of the decade, recording an impressive compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 21.5%.
Why are VUIs Becoming Increasingly Prominent?
A VUI is an extension of a chatbot-like, conversation-based interface. The user input it takes in comes in the form of voice. It then processes this input and responds with an output, which can be voice-based or shown on a screen as text or media, accompanied by the respective activity of the smart device. This simple voice activation elevates the human-machine interface beyond touch, resulting in seamless and harmonious communication.
The simplicity, convenience, and accessibility of VUIs have propelled this technology in recent years, causing it to gather positive momentum in terms of people’s perception of it. Here are some of the notable benefits of VUIs and their application in daily life or even industrial spaces:
- Natural and Intuitive Interaction: VUIs offer a spontaneous and intuitive way of communicating with smart devices, giving the interaction a realistic feel and a perception of a conversation with a virtual assistant.
- Hands-Free and Eyes-Free Operation: VUIs go beyond the traditional touch-based interface commonly used in screens. This is extremely valuable when access to screens is difficult, such as during driving, cooking, or other instances where hands and eyes are occupied. This can also be crucial where touch is undesirable, such as in cases where health-related measures are imposed, as was the case during the coronavirus pandemic recently.
- Enhanced Accessibility and Inclusivity: One of technology’s core objectives and attributes is accessibility. Enhancing accessibility for everyone and making technology more inclusive is what propels our society forward. VUIs are a game-changer in this aspect. People of old age and people with disabilities, such as visual impairments or limited mobility, may find navigating and controlling devices difficult with traditional user interfaces. Using VUIs, they can interact with their smart devices almost effortlessly by using voice commands.
- Higher Convenience and Reliable Delegation: With VUIs, people can control multiple devices in the comfort of their own setting and delegate specific tasks to their smart devices, which enables them to engage in other activities more conveniently and productively, untroubled by anything that the smart device can take care of.
- Reduced Learning Curve: Simplicity is crucial for the adoption of technology, especially in our everyday life. VUIs simplify device usage, saving people time and effort that would otherwise be needed to learn complex user interfaces or particular commands. This enables further inclusivity, as it provides a user-friendly interface for individuals of all ages and technological expertise.